12"x12" original oil on canvas
The first hospital in Amherst was constructed on Sand Hill and was built in 1904 at the cost of $20,000. Land and money was donated by R.B. Dickey, and the building consisted of two wards, a children's ward, and 11 private rooms. The stone structure was a sight to behold on Charles Street and the advent of babies being born in a hospital as a new entity. Former employees included registered nurses, doctors, and general duty workers. Having a hospital in the community would have been a much welcomed advantage as the town grew to its present day proportion.